Be Respectful, Be Responsible, Be Involved
- Technology has been introduced to a new high level. As of September, every student will have their own Chromebook device to do their work on.
- Over the past few years, Friends of Bassano School have raised over $400,000 for playground projects and numerous other initiatives for our school.
- The Bassano Arts Council has generously supported theatre and the arts in our school by sponsoring Missoula Children’s Theatre every year and other arts-related activities.
- FCSS has helped out with prevention-related programs that support student learning i.e. our Leadership Resiliency Program.
We are very fortunate to have this kind of support for these groups and more. We couldn't do it without their help.
We continue to look for ways to improve how we do things in the school to ensure that everyone feels their children are safe, cared for, and welcomed by everyone in the building.
- We are committed to doing a better job of communicating to parents as a whole, and I will make this commitment to you that I will do a better job of communicating with each of you when you have concerns. I also ask the same of you.
- We are committed to ensuring all students are safe. We don't want any of our students to be placed in a situation where they feel unsafe. Nor do we want parents feeling their children are unsafe. It's important that everyone trusts us to take care of their children.
- We need to hear from you directly if you have concerns. We can't address what gets posted on social media, or when calls are made throughout the community if we don't know what is being said.
- We need volunteers around the school. We couldn't do the breakfast program without the parent volunteers. They have been a crucial piece to the program's success. Thank you to those who help with that. If you have some spare time, we invite you to come and volunteer with us.
Our motto at Bassano School is Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and Be Involved. We teach the students the importance of being respectful to one another. We try to model to them through how we speak to others and about others. We teach the students to take responsibility for their actions and learn from their mistakes. We teach the students to get involved and help out where we are needed. But something that we need to practice in each of these areas is Be Kind. It’s not enough to show respect if it is not grounded in love and kindness. When we take responsibility for our mistakes, we grow and move forward because of the kindness we show ourselves and from the care of others. When we get involved in our community, it needs to be motivated by the kindness we have to help and serve others and not by how it serves our interest.
I hope that we can move forward to build trust with the community. We do so by talking and communicating with one another with a common goal in mind. Our vision at Bassano School is "A Community of Learners Dedicated to Student Success." Ultimately, everything we do is about ensuring that our students are learning and growing and being successful as lifelong learners.
Thank you for entrusting your children into our care and believing that we can educate your children to meet the standard that Alberta Education has set out for us. We look forward to next year and we hope you had a great summer holiday.
Mr. Vincent Hill, Principal Ms Ruth Tkachyk, Vice Principal